Wayward Cartoon Network Gambles On Live Action Series; you guys DO realize you're a cartoon channel?!
Taylor
2009-08-17 20:48:24 UTC
How f**king hard is it to program a 24/7 cartoon channel? Even if you
take out the classics -- all those are now on Boomerang (50s, 60, 70s
and even 80s) -- it's EASY to scoop up all the cartoons from the last
15 years ONLY and air them.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/08/17/cartoon-network-gambles-o_n_260976.html

[image: Time Warner, NLSN TLVSN]
Dave Turner
2009-08-17 21:12:40 UTC
Post by Taylor
How f**king hard is it to program a 24/7 cartoon channel? Even if you
take out the classics -- all those are now on Boomerang (50s, 60, 70s
and even 80s) -- it's EASY to scoop up all the cartoons from the last
15 years ONLY and air them.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/08/17/cartoon-network-gambles-o_n_260976.html
http://images.huffingtonpost.com/gen/99115/thumbs/s-CARTOON-NETWORK-large.jpg
[image: Time Warner, NLSN TLVSN]
Apparently very. They must be looking at the "success" of MTV and other
network programming showing that cheap ass reality shows are profit
makers since they cost next to nothing to produce as opposed to cartoons
which take time to produce, unless you count that gem of a computer
animated Problem Child from years back.

Face it, quality is dead and CN is soon to follow I'm afraid.

I'm still holding out hope for an all Anime channel but apparently
nobody either thinks it would work or had the idea yet. I'd settle for
censored because I doubt anybody in cable programming has the balls to
do it uncensored.
Taylor
2009-08-17 22:07:18 UTC
Post by Dave Turner
Post by Taylor
[...]
YTV (our version of Nickelodeon) has a subscription Anime channel
here. I don't subscribe, but it's available for those interested.

www.Teletoon.com (Canadian Cartoon Network)

www.Teletoon.com/Retro (Canadian version of Boomerang)

Our cable is regulated and specialty channels licensed. While Teletoon
_has_ strayed a bit w/ some live-action fare, they get put in their
place if they go TOO far. But Much Music (our version of MTV) is
running A LOT of non-music programming junk, which is surprising.
'One Tree Hill' and 'So You Think You Can Dance Canada'. The ACTUAL
music videos get _dumped_ to overnight viewing from 3-6AM!
Kimba W Lion
2009-08-18 01:12:43 UTC
Post by Dave Turner
They must be looking at the "success" of MTV and other
network programming showing that cheap ass reality shows are profit
makers since they cost next to nothing to produce
All cable channels morph into the same formless muck sooner or later, because
no one at the top in those companies cares about whatever programming niche
the channel is supposed to serve. A cable channel is "just a business", and
can be run just like any other business in the world, or so the MBAs think.
And that means looking at numbers on spreadsheets, not at something as silly
as program content or quality.
http://www.theanimenetwork.com/
--
Intelligent Life Is All Around Us
http://intelligentlife.info/
Dave Turner
2009-08-18 15:53:10 UTC
Post by Kimba W Lion
Post by Dave Turner
I'm still holding out hope for an all Anime channel but apparently
nobody either thinks it would work or had the idea yet.
http://www.theanimenetwork.com/
Thanks for that!

I'm still hoping for something that Comcast would actually offer as part
of their extended basic package that I wouldn't have to pay $2 per
episode on the "on demand" package.
sd
2009-08-18 19:39:42 UTC
Post by Dave Turner
Post by Kimba W Lion
http://www.theanimenetwork.com/
Thanks for that!
I'm still hoping for something that Comcast would actually offer as part
of their extended basic package that I wouldn't have to pay $2 per
episode on the "on demand" package.
I wonder if Youtube, Veoh, Dailymotion,etc... could play a bigger role
then currently? Funimation had put the Funimation Channel on Youtube
to watch some of the animes they distribute and I wonder if it might
be only the tip of the iceberg?

Stéphane Dumas
Frank J. Lhota
2009-08-18 22:48:29 UTC
Post by sd
I wonder if Youtube, Veoh, Dailymotion,etc... could play a bigger role
then currently? Funimation had put the Funimation Channel on Youtube
to watch some of the animes they distribute and I wonder if it might
be only the tip of the iceberg?
Stéphane Dumas
Almost all of the networks, including Anime network and traditional
networks such as NBC, offer their shows on the web. There is a real
possibility that old style broadcasting is on its way out, with cable TV
not far behind, so the major players are hedging their bets.
--
"All things extant in this world,
Gods of Heaven, gods of Earth,

"Drizzle, Drazzle, Drozzle, Drome,
Time for this one to come home!"
- Mr. Wizard from "Tooter Turtle"
writerpatrick.webs.com
2009-08-20 14:08:26 UTC
Post by sd
I wonder if Youtube, Veoh, Dailymotion,etc... could play a bigger role
then currently? Funimation had put the Funimation Channel on Youtube
to watch some of the animes they distribute and I wonder if it might
be only the tip of the iceberg?
The TV networks did it as a way to stem the problem of the illegal
downloads. However, they have actually cut back a bit on some shows. And
many of the TV services only keep the files available for a couple weeks, so
it's alright for those who missed the week's episode but not for those who
might be trying to catch up. Putting the stuff on YouTube would put DVD
sales at risk. But it's still just experimental for them and it could
disappear in a few years. They might simply decide any loss from illegal
downloads is smaller than the cost of preventing them.

Funimation has been unusual, however one must remember that what they're
doing is redistributing something that already aired overseas that networks
here aren't interested in. They distribute via the Internet as a way to get
viewers interested in buying the DVDs. If people don't see the show and
don't know it exists, they won't buy the DVDs.

Whereas just about of the (successful) US produced product is sold to other
channels overseas and doesn't need Internet distribution. Networks are
simply following a potential trend of the Internet becoming the new
distribution medium for TV. But as it now stands it's nowhere profitable
enough to justify the costs needed to produce the TV shows people are use
to. Even DVD sales are more profitable. So don't expect much in the way of
free distribution for mainstream TV until they can work out a proper way to
get advertisers to cover online distribution properly, and that doesn't
appear it will happen anytime soon.
--
Patrick McNamara
E-mail: ***@gmail.com
Book Store: http://stores.lulu.com/store.php?fAcctID=139581
Terrence Briggs
2009-08-26 14:19:27 UTC
Post by Dave Turner
Post by Taylor
How f**king hard is it to program a 24/7 cartoon channel? Even if you
take out the classics -- all those are now on Boomerang (50s, 60, 70s
and even 80s) -- it's EASY to scoop up all the cartoons from the last
15 years ONLY and air them.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/08/17/cartoon-network-gambles-o_n_...
http://images.huffingtonpost.com/gen/99115/thumbs/s-CARTOON-NETWORK-l...
[image: Time Warner, NLSN TLVSN]
Apparently very. They must be looking at the "success" of MTV and other
network programming showing that cheap ass reality shows are profit
makers since they cost next to nothing to produce as opposed to cartoons
which take time to produce, unless you count that gem of a computer
animated Problem Child from years back.
Actually, I think TimeWarner is looking at Nickleodeon and Disney
Channel, and recognizing the value of what they have: a massive pool
of 6-14-year-olds. They can sell that to media and food companies,
looking to advertise their wares.

Don't forget, the only economic reason to have a "cartoon network" at
all is to attract preteens to advertisers. If those same preteens are
willing to watch live-action series (Hannah Montana, curse your black
heart), then animated exclusivity doesn't matter.
Post by Dave Turner
Face it, quality is dead and CN is soon to follow I'm afraid.
CN was a quality network?
Post by Dave Turner
I'm still holding out hope for an all Anime channel but apparently
nobody either thinks it would work or had the idea yet. I'd settle for
censored because I doubt anybody in cable programming has the balls to
do it uncensored.
Surely it won't become the next Nickelodeon. I'd be perfectly happy
with a youtube channel that shows subbed and dubbed anime.

AH! BUT THERE IS!!! I haven't seen actual TV in months, thanks to
Funimation and Bandai's channels on Youtube! I can't say everything
there is regally awesome, but it is legally available. And free (with
library access) Just like TV.

Terrence Briggs, gets what he pays for. And then some.
Peace to you...
Chuck Kopsho
2009-09-07 03:36:58 UTC
Terrence,
There is an anime channel, but it's strictly PPV. Don't quote me, but
I think the channel is on Dish Network and DirecTv. Officially it's
called, Anime Network.

Cheers,
Chuck Kopsho
Oceanside, California